Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 AM
spiral_72

Default White Cloudiness to Tank Water

Diatom filters cost a good bit. The Green Water is similar to any other
algae. GW is almost a......phase...... of many, many tanks (including
mine). It shoould clear up in time if you do nothing. A Diatom filter
will fix the problem, possibly only temporarily. I'd fix your tank
maintenance and forget about the GW for now. I built a Diatom type
filter and removed about 75% of my GW, only to have it regrow two days
later. Filtering it likely isn't the fix. Your current filter should do
most of that.

BTW The cloudiness has to do with bacteria and your tank going through
a "mini cycle" I think is the term. That is for the most part bad and
definetely undesireable. It's likely caused my overcleaning the filters
or otherwise destroying some of the bacteria colony.

For what it's worth, I battled GW for like 6 weeks. Trying this, trying
that, probably compounding problems. I think it was NetMax that
convinced me to leave it alone. About ten days later the water went
from totally opaque green, to crystal clear in 48 hours.

Anyhoo. Research what I say. Every tank can be different. You'll learn
something from this I promise.

http://www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html