Old 09-11-2005, 03:41 PM
UNIVERSAL MIND

Default the amazing flathead Briggs

In the past I've tinkered with quite a few Briggs engines, ranging from
3 HP to 15 HP- and they never cease to amaze me.

We have a 3 HP and 5 HP that we put on a go-kart, that hauled an adult
and child quite briskly with a cent. clutch and chain drive- to the
point it overpowered the chassis.

The 12-15 HP engines are real torque monsters in the 2 tractors I've
worked on.

What amazes me about them is how simple they are- anyone out there soup
these up, if so, what results ?

I was given (2) 3HP Briggs that were both blown up and not running,
that were attached to water pumps. The head and valve seat on one was
broken, the other had a broken connecting rod. I took the rod/piston
from one, used the crankcase and head from another...

started right up and ran- and hauled ass on the go kart, with 2 people
on it.

amazing machines. Now I'm itching to get a Ford flathead V-8...