Old 28-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Scott L. Hadley

Default spear and jackson stainless steel spade

" Perhaps I'm missing something: Is it that important that the spade be
stainless steel? I believe stainless is more difficult to weld, which may
be the problem.
....Just a thought from a colonist, surrounded by 3-4 feet (1-1.3meters)

of
snow and suffering from advanced cabin fever. The only treatment is

purely
symptomatic- brightly colored garden catalogs.

-1F this morning; warmest in several. You think the Scots are cold?

As this colonist in Maine learned from mentors from England back in the
early 80's: I expect the entire metal portion, regardless of metal type, to
be ONE piece of metal, with no welds. Then, as far as attaching the handle
goes, there are only two ways: solid socket or solid strapped. The OP's
spade may have been one of these two good attachment types, but I have the
idea from reading his post the metal portion was formed from more than one
piece, thus welded. I hope I am reading this correctly.

As I have earned much of my living over 20 years weilding spades and forks,
I have to conclude that, while solid socket and solid strapped are the only
two ways to attach a wooden handle to a single spade or fork blade, (since
no part of the wooden handle touches the earth,) it is probably the solid
strapped attachment which is best. I once broke a good heavy solid socket
digging fork of English origin, but at the point where the wood disappears
into the socket of steel, and it may have been my fault. My great
grandfather's solid strapped spade, however is at least 100 years old and
saw me through the 80's and early 90's in my landscape gardening career, and
I use it for some things still, but I have mostly retired it out of respect
for its beauty and as a family heirloom of sorts. A second solid strapped
spade came to me thru a yard sale, and is my regular digging and planting
companion.

The winter: I think where I live on the coast of Maine, we have less snow
than you but it may be colder here than there. About 2 feet of snow, and
lower temperatures than yours overall. Eventually, will put pictures up on
our personal web page for snow-starved folks to view.

Scott L. Hadley