Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
M.Paul

Default praying mantis

I buy a couple of egg pods every year, usually in March or April (Northern
CA). I usually see them a couple dozen times per year. Sometimes they are
grey/brown, sometimes they are green. I wonder if they change color based
on their surroundings? I usually see one or two very large ones early in
the year - apparently surviving through winter.. If you've seen one I bet
there are more. If there's food for them they will stick around. If not,
they'll go elsewhere. Also I've heard they will hunt each other - don't
know if that true or not.

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the opinion from you vet growers on the praying mantis? I
bought one of those egg pods...but I was probably too late...July in
zone 5-6. I only saw 1 baby and a few others later some distance
away. Are they worth having as friends. Thanks Joe Mc