Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 AM

Default praying mantis

What is the opinion from you vet growers on the praying mantis? I
bought one of those egg pods...but I was probably too late...July in
zone 5-6. I only saw 1 baby and a few others later some distance
away. Are they worth having as friends. Thanks Joe Mc

Old 11-11-2005, 04:28 AM
GA Pinhead

Unless you are a male mantis... they are great bug eaters. Get the egg
cases earlier in the spring next year.

We had a female outside our office door for a week or so, she turned a
cool gray color. Kept stealing from the spider's web.

John!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
M.Paul

I buy a couple of egg pods every year, usually in March or April (Northern
CA). I usually see them a couple dozen times per year. Sometimes they are
grey/brown, sometimes they are green. I wonder if they change color based
on their surroundings? I usually see one or two very large ones early in
the year - apparently surviving through winter.. If you've seen one I bet
there are more. If there's food for them they will stick around. If not,
they'll go elsewhere. Also I've heard they will hunt each other - don't
know if that true or not.

oups.com...

Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"M.Paul" wrote:

I buy a couple of egg pods every year, usually in March or April (Northern
CA). I usually see them a couple dozen times per year. Sometimes they are
grey/brown, sometimes they are green. I wonder if they change color based
on their surroundings? I usually see one or two very large ones early in
the year - apparently surviving through winter.. If you've seen one I bet
there are more. If there's food for them they will stick around. If not,
they'll go elsewhere. Also I've heard they will hunt each other - don't
know if that true or not.

Yes, it's true...

Unfortunately.

And the females always bite the males head off during the mating act,
but the decapitated body continues to mate.

Insect sex is wierd. ;-)
--
Om.

Praying Mantis bushite Lawns 19 24-03-2009 01:33 AM
praying mantis in my garage..... JerseyMike Lawns 7 05-07-2006 10:20 PM
Praying Mantis questions allowed?? John Savage Australia 3 01-05-2006 07:53 PM
Praying Mantis questions allowed?? Farmer Joe Edible Gardening 4 27-04-2006 05:53 AM
Preying (praying?) mantis eggs Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Edible Gardening 3 02-07-2005 08:23 AM