Old 11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default praying mantis

In article ,
"M.Paul" wrote:

I buy a couple of egg pods every year, usually in March or April (Northern
CA). I usually see them a couple dozen times per year. Sometimes they are
grey/brown, sometimes they are green. I wonder if they change color based
on their surroundings? I usually see one or two very large ones early in
the year - apparently surviving through winter.. If you've seen one I bet
there are more. If there's food for them they will stick around. If not,
they'll go elsewhere. Also I've heard they will hunt each other - don't
know if that true or not.

Yes, it's true...

Unfortunately.

And the females always bite the males head off during the mating act,
but the decapitated body continues to mate.

Insect sex is wierd. ;-)
--
Om.