Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Trevor Woods

Default feed & weed

MG wrote in message

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
news
Robert62 wrote:

MG wrote:

is there a weed & feed type product which can be used on kikuyu lawns?

What weeds are coming up through your kikuyu lawn?

Burke's Backyard had a look at Kikuyu:

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...n/grasses,_gro
und_covers_and_lawns2/kikuyu_lawn

A slow release fertilizer for Kikuyu was mentioned above, but I'm not
aware of a specific weed & feed type product for kikuyu lawns, though
products containing Glyphosate could/would kill the Kikuyu lawn.

Glyphosate is readily available every where nowand it
certainly controls Kykuyu

Yes it sure does.

--
Regards Erik Vastmasd

there are dandelions (seems to be hundreds, way too many anyway to dig out
individually, unless I plan on not going to work for the next month lol)

mallow, which seems to have overtaken a large part of the lawn

also, prickly sow thistles, creeping oxalis, some ribwort/ribgrass,

I've been using the Brunnings feed & weed on a Kikuyu lawn for years now
with no problem. I have the liquid hose on stuff. I think it says not
recomended for Kikuyu, but I havn't had any yellowing. I now only use it in
a spray bottle, and spot weed. I first used the hose on method, as I had
lots of broadleaf weeds. With that under control, I wanted to be able to use
it more economicaly. Plus, it was to awkward dragging the hose around when I
now didn't have so many weeds. I decided to try using a spray bottle on a
regular basis to control them. The trouble was, I didn't know at what rate
to mix it. I was going to experiment with it, but before I did I went to the
Brunnings web site. On there it gave the rate to mix it if you want to use a
watering can or spray bottle. Its 20 to 1. I use a 1 litre bottle. Thats
50ml of feed & weed. It works really well. The day after you spray a
dandelion weed, the leaves will be pointing up slightly. You don't seem to
get the dry dead weed look you get using Glyphosate. The weeds seem to just
shrivel up while staying a bit green and the fertilizer helps the lawn to
grow over. One day you come out and the weeds are gone.

Regards