Old 31-10-2005, 11:19 PM
MG

Default feed & weed

not sure if this has been asked before, apologies if so

is there a weed & feed type product which can be used on kikuyu lawns? I
bought a product yesterday from a large well-known hardware/gardens store as
I was told that it was OK for these types of lawns, but on closer reading of
the product info, discovered that it wasn't recommended for such (Rich-gro
weed & feed)

any help will be greatly appreciated
Maria

Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Albany. Western Australia
Thumbs up

is there a weed & feed type product which can be used on kikuyu lawns?

Not so much a weed and feed type but you must have heard of Glyphosate sold as Roundup. Glyphosate is readily available every where nowand it certainly controls Kykuyu
Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 AM
MG

--
Robert62

Hi Robert, and thanks for your reply...looking back on my OP, I obviously
didn't make myself clear...I meant to ask if there was a there was a product
which was SAFELY used on kikuyu lawns

sheesh, what a difference one word makes lol

thanks anyway
Maria

Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Lindsay

MG wrote:

Hi Robert, and thanks for your reply...looking back on my OP, I obviously
didn't make myself clear...I meant to ask if there was a there was a product
which was SAFELY used on kikuyu lawns

"Brunnings" do a granular Weed and Feed which says it's ok for couch
and buffalo... doesnt say anything about kikuyu tho.
I've got a 5 kg bag of it here, but havent used it yet. It states
that the lawn will go BLACK(!) for a few day but will recover.
(Thats why I havent used it yet.. )

--
Scrap the 00 to post direct.

"We all should present legal cars. I'm embarrassed we've presented a car
that's ineligible." Mark Skaife, Chief Sook, HRT.12/11/04 (It must hurt
to say illegal!)

'Speed limit near schools lowered to 40 grams per student' - CNNNN
Old 09-11-2005, 08:15 AM
MG

"Erik Vastmasd" wrote in message
news
Robert62 wrote:

MG wrote:

is there a weed & feed type product which can be used on kikuyu lawns?

What weeds are coming up through your kikuyu lawn?

Burke's Backyard had a look at Kikuyu:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...s2/kikuyu_lawn

A slow release fertilizer for Kikuyu was mentioned above, but I'm not
aware of a specific weed & feed type product for kikuyu lawns, though
products containing Glyphosate could/would kill the Kikuyu lawn.

Glyphosate is readily available every where nowand it
certainly controls Kykuyu

Yes it sure does.

--
Regards Erik Vastmasd

there are dandelions (seems to be hundreds, way too many anyway to dig out
individually, unless I plan on not going to work for the next month lol)

mallow, which seems to have overtaken a large part of the lawn

also, prickly sow thistles, creeping oxalis, some ribwort/ribgrass,

Old 09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
GreenieLeBrun

Robert62 wrote:

MG wrote:

[...]

You could try using a Zero Weeding Wand and just wiping the broadleaf
weeds with the glyophosphate impregnated wick, slow, but it will work
eventually and saves you digging the weeds out.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Flying Echidna

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:58:48 +1100, Lindsay
wrote in aus.gardens:

"Brunnings" do a granular Weed and Feed which says it's ok for couch
and buffalo... doesnt say anything about kikuyu tho.
I've got a 5 kg bag of it here, but havent used it yet. It states
that the lawn will go BLACK(!) for a few day but will recover.
(Thats why I havent used it yet.. )

Sounds awfuly similart to the effect Sulphate of Ammonia has on a
lawn.

Regards
Prickles

This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Trevor Woods

Robert62 wrote:

MG wrote:

is there a weed & feed type product which can be used on kikuyu lawns?

What weeds are coming up through your kikuyu lawn?

Burke's Backyard had a look at Kikuyu:

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...n/grasses,_gro
und_covers_and_lawns2/kikuyu_lawn

A slow release fertilizer for Kikuyu was mentioned above, but I'm not
aware of a specific weed & feed type product for kikuyu lawns, though
products containing Glyphosate could/would kill the Kikuyu lawn.

Glyphosate is readily available every where nowand it
certainly controls Kykuyu

Yes it sure does.

--
Regards Erik Vastmasd

there are dandelions (seems to be hundreds, way too many anyway to dig out
individually, unless I plan on not going to work for the next month lol)

mallow, which seems to have overtaken a large part of the lawn

also, prickly sow thistles, creeping oxalis, some ribwort/ribgrass,

I've been using the Brunnings feed & weed on a Kikuyu lawn for years now
with no problem. I have the liquid hose on stuff. I think it says not
recomended for Kikuyu, but I havn't had any yellowing. I now only use it in
a spray bottle, and spot weed. I first used the hose on method, as I had
lots of broadleaf weeds. With that under control, I wanted to be able to use
it more economicaly. Plus, it was to awkward dragging the hose around when I
now didn't have so many weeds. I decided to try using a spray bottle on a
regular basis to control them. The trouble was, I didn't know at what rate
to mix it. I was going to experiment with it, but before I did I went to the
Brunnings web site. On there it gave the rate to mix it if you want to use a
watering can or spray bottle. Its 20 to 1. I use a 1 litre bottle. Thats
50ml of feed & weed. It works really well. The day after you spray a
dandelion weed, the leaves will be pointing up slightly. You don't seem to
get the dry dead weed look you get using Glyphosate. The weeds seem to just
shrivel up while staying a bit green and the fertilizer helps the lawn to
grow over. One day you come out and the weeds are gone.

Regards

Old 16-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"MG" wrote:

there are dandelions (seems to be hundreds, way too many anyway to dig out
individually, unless I plan on not going to work for the next month lol)

Dandelions, or those broad-leafed weeds with dandelion flowers?

mallow, which seems to have overtaken a large part of the lawn

also, prickly sow thistles, creeping oxalis, some ribwort/ribgrass,

Dunno about ribwort, but I have all the others. I pull out sow thistles and
dandelions for the guinea pigs. Mallows come out easily too, and go on the
compost heap. For the rest, especially the broad-leafed weeds, I have
glyphosate in a spray bottle. If you kill off a bit of lawn it doesn't
matter, especially now we're in the growing season: more lawn will grow to
cover the empty space.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Weed & Feed Products Sled Lawns 1 29-04-2009 08:57 AM
Weed & feed Herb and Eneva White Lawns 7 09-04-2009 01:08 AM
phostrogen feed, weed & mosskiller James Ostler Lawns 0 21-05-2004 11:05 AM
Weed & Feed for very small yard [email protected] Gardening 2 30-04-2004 03:02 PM
weed & Feed - when may my baby go back on the lawn ?? Holger Friebe Gardening 46 01-03-2003 09:04 PM