Old 29-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Kay Easton

Default using old hay for mulch ?

In article , Stephen
Birchall writes

we've got 2 acres here, the top acre paddock, which I want to establish
some trees etc on to encourage as a wildlife area. It is a bit exposed,
so I'll need to plan carefully. We've been here about 16 months and the
local farmer cut and baled the hay from the paddock last summer. I
wouldn't describe it as good quality hay, could sell it at £1 a bale, but
prefer to devise alternative uses for it - would be useful as a wind
break, 2 bales in a V formation (perhaps 2 more on top) agin the wind to
give a nice shletered southerly aspect. Once the trees start to go into
the paddock, I am going to have to think of an alternative way to keep
the grass in some sort of order - I was thinking of an Allen scythe, but
these don't seem to be on the market nowadays.

They are -we bought one for the Nature Park last year. Well worth it,
lot less work than a strimmer. Less than 500 pounds IIRC. Stihl,
possibly?

For diversity of plants, which is foundation for diversity of higher
life, important thing is to reduce nutrient levels by removing the
mowings.

If you're moving over to woodland, you could get away with just cutting
a circle around the young trees. As they grow, they will begin to
suppress the grass growth.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: