Old 29-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Rod

Default Using a propogator

"JimM" wrote in message
I planted a few Aster seeds on Monday as I couldn't wait to test out a
heated propogator. Too my surprise they have already started appearing !
Problem is I don't know what I do now. Do I leave the heat on, should I

open
the vents or remove the lid or do I just leave well alone until they are
ready for potting on
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Get them out as soon as you can, it's a gentle 'weaning' process you need
over a period of a few days to get them accustomed to lower temp/humidity
outside the propagator. Vent first then cover partly lifted, then cover off,
then heat off or lift them out. They will grow very quickly so prick them
out asap into modules, small pots or a seed tray. Most problems with seed in
propagators are caused by letting plants get soft and leggy and more
susceptible to fungal diseases. Other seeds are variations on what you're
doing now though most will be slower

Rod