Old 29-01-2003, 09:44 PM
JimM

Default Using a propogator

I planted a few Aster seeds on Monday as I couldn't wait to test out a
heated propogator. Too my surprise they have already started appearing !
Problem is I don't know what I do now. Do I leave the heat on, should I open
the vents or remove the lid or do I just leave well alone until they are
ready for potting on
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jim
--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 29-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Rod

"JimM" wrote in message
I planted a few Aster seeds on Monday as I couldn't wait to test out a
heated propogator. Too my surprise they have already started appearing !
Problem is I don't know what I do now. Do I leave the heat on, should I

open
the vents or remove the lid or do I just leave well alone until they are
ready for potting on
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Get them out as soon as you can, it's a gentle 'weaning' process you need
over a period of a few days to get them accustomed to lower temp/humidity
outside the propagator. Vent first then cover partly lifted, then cover off,
then heat off or lift them out. They will grow very quickly so prick them
out asap into modules, small pots or a seed tray. Most problems with seed in
propagators are caused by letting plants get soft and leggy and more
susceptible to fungal diseases. Other seeds are variations on what you're
doing now though most will be slower

Rod

Old 30-01-2003, 11:45 PM
snafu steve

"JimM" wrote in message
I planted a few Aster seeds on Monday as I couldn't wait to test out a
heated propogator. Too my surprise they have already started appearing !
Problem is I don't know what I do now. Do I leave the heat on, should I

open
the vents or remove the lid or do I just leave well alone until they are
ready for potting on
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jim
--
Remove BRAIN before replying

I don't like to be a wet blanket, but are you sure they're the asters? to be
coming through in 2-3 days sounds suspiciously like weed seeds in the
compost.

Steve

Old 31-01-2003, 07:36 AM
JimM

I'm going to be optimistic and presume they are the Asters. The compost came
out of a bag of J Arthur Bowers seed compost so I hope it wouldn't be
contaminated.
Knowing my luck though I'll probably spend the next few weeks carefully
nuturing some beautiful nettles

Jim

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , snafu steve
writes
I don't like to be a wet blanket, but are you sure they're the asters? to

be
coming through in 2-3 days sounds suspiciously like weed seeds in the
compost.

Either that, or the propagator was set at too high a temperature. Asters
are hardy perennials and about 16C/60F would be about right for them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 31-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Rod

"JimM" wrote in message
I'm going to be optimistic and presume they are the Asters. The compost

came
out of a bag of J Arthur Bowers seed compost so I hope it wouldn't be
contaminated.
Knowing my luck though I'll probably spend the next few weeks carefully
nuturing some beautiful nettles

Jim

Don't worry about if Jim, with Arthur Bowers you can be fairly sure those
seedlings are from seed you put in. Asters do germinate very quickly at high
temperatures. It would certainly be worth your while to get a cheap soil
thermometer and check what the propagator's giving you and to try and
calibrate any control it has if it's adjustable. That will be fairly rough
and ready but you don't need a high degree of accuracy - reasonable
repeatability is helpful though.
These propagators are often a bit on the warm side. I hacked one
specifically for germinating Cyclamen by wiring in my own thermostat to
override the built in one. Do also bear in mind that thermostats only switch
off power, they can't cool the propagator so watch solar gain and preferably
site it in good light out of direct sun. Apply some shading during the
brightest parts of the day if needed (newspaper, fleece etc.)

Rod

propogator problems terry United Kingdom 1 25-10-2006 10:58 AM
[IBC] Using wire to thicken base of trunk - HELP! John NJ Bonsai 4 31-03-2003 12:32 AM
[IBC] Using Fish Tank water... Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 6 12-02-2003 07:25 PM
Using Fish Tank water... MainAt Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 06:16 PM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM