Old 29-01-2003, 11:09 PM
jrbuk

Default spear and jackson stainless steel spade

"don" wrote in message

I think you made the mistake of assuming that stainless steel gardening
implements should be actually used --they are just for show.
Stainless steel does not offer any advatage --it tends to be brittle,

bends
quite easily and in the case of spades is liable to split.

I speak from bitter experience --and a somewhat depleted wallet

I can't quite agree that stainless steel offers no advantage. If the soil
is at all sticky then stainless wins hands down over "regular" steel.....as
I found today when I was back to using my trusty 20 yr old Spear and Jackson
traditional steel spade! If welding proves to be such a problem then why
don't they use rivets? I have a great one piece s/s trowel which again
stays clean in sticky soil conditions.

What I really don't understand is why S&J should put their good name to such
non-durable product.