Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Kye

Default Speaking of speakers...Who are your favorites?

Gary Yong Gee would have to br my favorite speaker...

Kye.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
Greg's photography talk is very interesting and informative. I've heard
it a couple of times. Kenni

"danny" wrote in message
Linda is speaking here on Monday (and on Sunday at the judges' training
session, but the odds of me getting down there in the morning are slim).
I've seen one of her talks on Oncidium alliance breeding that I thought
was interesting. She's doing something on Oncidium culture for our
meeting, and something on Stanhopeas for the training session. If you
are that close to Woodland you should definitely give her a try sometime,
the travel costs your society would have to pay should be pretty low
(always something to keep in mind when scheduling speakers).

Alan Koch was here a couple months ago and he was very good. We had
Michael from RF Orchids at the beginning of the year, he gave a pretty
good culture talk. Leo Schordje gave us a pretty good talk on Phrag.
species a few months ago. The most boring speaker we've had was probably
Stig Dalstrom talking about Odontoglossum taxonomy (or something like
that, I kept nodding off) a few years ago.

Has anyone heard Greg Allikas speak on orchid photography? I was
wondering whether to push for that one sometime. Our current V.P. wasn't
interested in a photography talk, but I can try again next year with the
new V.P. :-)

-danny

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I didn't know Linda did speaking jobs.
Assuming this is the Linda Wilhelm of Linda & Rolf Wilhelm who own
Woodland Orchids, I'd love to know if anybody on here would recomend her
as a speaker, since we go down to their place frequently. (Woodland is
about 45 mins from us) I mostly know Rolf, but if she does speaking,
this might explain why she's out of town a lot.
Let me know if any of you have more info on this, so I know whether to
talk to our OS prez about having her speak.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
OrchidKitty wrote:
Hi all,

Of all the speakers that your orchid society has sponsored, who are
some U.S. speakers that you'd especially recommend?

I've enjoyed (in no particular order)

Bill Thoms
Dennis Olivas (I don't think he travels)
Yin-Tung Wang (I'm not sure he travels much, either)
Alan Koch
Helen Congelton
Eric Christensen
Bob Gordon (some say he's a blow hard, but I like him)

There's probably a big east coast vs west coast divide. For example
I've never heard Linda Wilhelm or HP Norton, or Ray Barkalow for that
matter

K Barrett