Old 11-11-2005, 10:17 PM
OrchidKitty

Default Speaking of speakers...Who are your favorites?

Hi all,

Of all the speakers that your orchid society has sponsored, who are
some U.S. speakers that you'd especially recommend?

Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 PM
K Barrett

OrchidKitty wrote:
Hi all,

Of all the speakers that your orchid society has sponsored, who are
some U.S. speakers that you'd especially recommend?

I've enjoyed (in no particular order)

Bill Thoms
Dennis Olivas (I don't think he travels)
Yin-Tung Wang (I'm not sure he travels much, either)
Alan Koch
Helen Congelton
Eric Christensen
Bob Gordon (some say he's a blow hard, but I like him)

There's probably a big east coast vs west coast divide. For example
I've never heard Linda Wilhelm or HP Norton, or Ray Barkalow for that matter

K Barrett
Old 12-11-2005, 02:40 AM
Lady Blacksword

I didn't know Linda did speaking jobs.
Assuming this is the Linda Wilhelm of Linda & Rolf Wilhelm who own Woodland
Orchids, I'd love to know if anybody on here would recomend her as a
speaker, since we go down to their place frequently. (Woodland is about 45
mins from us) I mostly know Rolf, but if she does speaking, this might
explain why she's out of town a lot.
Let me know if any of you have more info on this, so I know whether to talk
to our OS prez about having her speak.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 PM
danny

Linda is speaking here on Monday (and on Sunday at the judges' training
session, but the odds of me getting down there in the morning are slim).
I've seen one of her talks on Oncidium alliance breeding that I thought was
interesting. She's doing something on Oncidium culture for our meeting, and
something on Stanhopeas for the training session. If you are that close to
Woodland you should definitely give her a try sometime, the travel costs
your society would have to pay should be pretty low (always something to
keep in mind when scheduling speakers).

Alan Koch was here a couple months ago and he was very good. We had Michael
from RF Orchids at the beginning of the year, he gave a pretty good culture
talk. Leo Schordje gave us a pretty good talk on Phrag. species a few
months ago. The most boring speaker we've had was probably Stig Dalstrom
talking about Odontoglossum taxonomy (or something like that, I kept nodding
off) a few years ago.

Has anyone heard Greg Allikas speak on orchid photography? I was wondering
whether to push for that one sometime. Our current V.P. wasn't interested
in a photography talk, but I can try again next year with the new V.P. :-)

-danny

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I didn't know Linda did speaking jobs.
Assuming this is the Linda Wilhelm of Linda & Rolf Wilhelm who own
Woodland Orchids, I'd love to know if anybody on here would recomend her
as a speaker, since we go down to their place frequently. (Woodland is
about 45 mins from us) I mostly know Rolf, but if she does speaking, this
might explain why she's out of town a lot.
Let me know if any of you have more info on this, so I know whether to
talk to our OS prez about having her speak.
Murri

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 12-11-2005, 04:55 PM
K Barrett

You could book Greg to talk about rupiculous laelias, then go to the
speaker dinner and ply him with questions about photography, thereby
killing 2 birds with one stone.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Kenni Judd

Greg's photography talk is very interesting and informative. I've heard it
a couple of times. Kenni

"danny" wrote in message
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 13-11-2005, 01:09 AM
danny

Good idea.
-danny

Old 13-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:07:51 GMT, "Kye"
wrote:

Gary Yong Gee would have to br my favorite speaker...

Kye.

I am sure we would all enjoy... Are you picking up the freight?
SuE
Old 13-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Lady Blacksword

Hmm. I may try and see if anybody is interested. I dunno. One of our members
and "resident expert" on phals seems to possibly have some kind of tension
with Woodland, as he sort of passes over the comment when my fiance or I
mention something Rolf said or some plant we got from him. Lester doesn't do
this when other growers in the area are mentioned. I've recently noticed our
prez doing the same thing, apparently following Lester's lead. So no telling
if I'll be able to get Linda as a speaker.
Gods I hate politics...........

Murri

"danny" wrote in message
[...]

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 13-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gods I hate politics

You said it. And it's even worse when it involves the societies. In this
neck of the woods, there's a woman who has been active in many societies
over the years, even helping some of them start up. A couple of years ago
she began to make it her life's work to undermine the good relations we all
had. I mean, the stuff she pulls is vindictive, though I find it childish as
well - sometimes her antics are so transparent that she *has* to know she'll
get caught, and she does get caught. In any event, she has lost all
credibility and has only harmed the one society she was trying to promote.
She's harmed herself the most. She sells orchids, and one of the societies
is not having her to their next show because of the trouble she caused at
the last one. Most of the rest of us won't touch her plants with a ten foot
pole.

It's a shame. I'll never understand what pleasure some people take in
causing trouble for others.

Diana

Old 14-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Lady Blacksword

I don't think it's malicious on Lester's part. I just think it's one of the
stupid "this alliance vs. that alliance" things that seem to be going around
in our OS. See, Lester does mainly Cattleya and Phal alliances, and Rolf is
heavy into Oncidiums & Dendrobiums.

No, I have no idea what freaking difference this makes, but I've noticed
traces of this strange rivalry in the OS for awhile now.
Murri