Old 30-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default rats in compost

In message , Druss
writes

Re rats in the compost

Yes, but the concerns about disease are more serious.

I would love to know exactly how common Weill's disease is, I mean how many
cases are there a year.

Not many - though of course it can be fatal..

I've seen figures quoted of 8 cases per year in the UK. In reality I
would there are other cases where the symptoms aren't so bad an it's
never realised that the person has the disease.

The major risks of infection are from water contaminated with the
bacteria (or from contact with the urine), the bacteria dies quickly in
dry conditions. I'm not clear on how well it survives in the
soil/compost however - it would seem from what I've read that this is
much less of a risk, the main concern does seem to be directed at those
coming in to contact with the water.

http://www.caving.org.uk/wdic/

Seems to have good info.
--