Old 14-11-2005, 12:38 PM
david taylor

Default Help help my newts please

Our garden is well populated by frogs and toads, and this may refleect the
general untidiness. I have found newts in a washing up bowl behind the
garden shed in a shaded area covered by leaf mold, about 30 yards and a
rocky bank from the next door pond. Our friend in Cheshire had a small
garden pond about 200 yards from the nearest standing water, and newts used
to spawn in it every year.
I suspect that they are more resilient and travel about more than we
imagine. I would put them somewhere damp and warmish-in leaf mold-near
cover, and I think on a warmer winter day they will wriggle their way into
an optimum resting place.
Regards
David T.
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 12/11/05 15:09, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Tidying up my garden around this time of year I often find newts
sleeping off their hangovers. ;-)
By the time I discover them I have almost always destroyed their
hibernation habitat. I try moving them to a sheltered part of the
garden and cover them as near as possible to how I found them, but
suspect they do not survive.
Given that I do disturb them and have destroyed their resting place is
there a good way of preserving them please?

I know this doesn't sound constructive but is the tidying absolutely 100%
essential? If you could leave it until April, say, it would help the
newts
because you're quite lucky to have them!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk