Old 12-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Broadback

Default Help help my newts please

Tidying up my garden around this time of year I often find newts
sleeping off their hangovers. ;-)
By the time I discover them I have almost always destroyed their
hibernation habitat. I try moving them to a sheltered part of the
garden and cover them as near as possible to how I found them, but
suspect they do not survive.
Given that I do disturb them and have destroyed their resting place is
there a good way of preserving them please?
Thanks
Old 14-11-2005, 12:38 PM
david taylor

Our garden is well populated by frogs and toads, and this may refleect the
general untidiness. I have found newts in a washing up bowl behind the
garden shed in a shaded area covered by leaf mold, about 30 yards and a
rocky bank from the next door pond. Our friend in Cheshire had a small
garden pond about 200 yards from the nearest standing water, and newts used
to spawn in it every year.
I suspect that they are more resilient and travel about more than we
imagine. I would put them somewhere damp and warmish-in leaf mold-near
cover, and I think on a warmer winter day they will wriggle their way into
an optimum resting place.
Regards
David T.
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 12/11/05 15:09, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Tidying up my garden around this time of year I often find newts
sleeping off their hangovers. ;-)
By the time I discover them I have almost always destroyed their
hibernation habitat. I try moving them to a sheltered part of the
garden and cover them as near as possible to how I found them, but
suspect they do not survive.
Given that I do disturb them and have destroyed their resting place is
there a good way of preserving them please?

I know this doesn't sound constructive but is the tidying absolutely 100%
essential? If you could leave it until April, say, it would help the
newts
because you're quite lucky to have them!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Sacha

On 14/11/05 12:38, in article , "david taylor"
wrote:

Our garden is well populated by frogs and toads, and this may refleect the
general untidiness. I have found newts in a washing up bowl behind the
garden shed in a shaded area covered by leaf mold, about 30 yards and a
rocky bank from the next door pond. Our friend in Cheshire had a small
garden pond about 200 yards from the nearest standing water, and newts used
to spawn in it every year.
I suspect that they are more resilient and travel about more than we
imagine. I would put them somewhere damp and warmish-in leaf mold-near
cover, and I think on a warmer winter day they will wriggle their way into
an optimum resting place.
snip

That's wonderful to hear because all newts are partially protected,
apparently and crested newts are wholly protected. They need all the help
and 'untidiness' they can get.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Help - how to decoy newts? Marco Schwarz Ponds 5 12-04-2006 03:26 PM
Normal behaviour for newts ? James Cook Ponds 1 16-06-2003 10:20 PM
Newts Chris Rowe United Kingdom 11 10-06-2003 10:44 PM
Newts Chris Rowe United Kingdom 3 09-06-2003 05:20 PM
urgent help lizards/newts John Towill United Kingdom 4 08-11-2002 08:49 AM