Old 14-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Sacha

Default Help help my newts please

On 14/11/05 12:38, in article , "david taylor"
wrote:

Our garden is well populated by frogs and toads, and this may refleect the
general untidiness. I have found newts in a washing up bowl behind the
garden shed in a shaded area covered by leaf mold, about 30 yards and a
rocky bank from the next door pond. Our friend in Cheshire had a small
garden pond about 200 yards from the nearest standing water, and newts used
to spawn in it every year.
I suspect that they are more resilient and travel about more than we
imagine. I would put them somewhere damp and warmish-in leaf mold-near
cover, and I think on a warmer winter day they will wriggle their way into
an optimum resting place.
snip

That's wonderful to hear because all newts are partially protected,
apparently and crested newts are wholly protected. They need all the help
and 'untidiness' they can get.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk