Old 15-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Snooze

Default Where to buy bulk compost.

"Keithp" wrote in message

Hello.

We are starting a new garden and vegetable patch and would like to
create several raised beds this winter. Does anyone know where we can
source affordable bulk mushroom compost (or similar).

We are based in South Lincolnshire, close to Cambs and Norfolk border.

Any ranches or private stables in your area? Call them, offer to haul away
their manure, obviously you'll have to compost it yourself. Mix it with wood
mulch from a tree service (as another poster suggested) and you'll have
compost. You'll have a fairly good mix, it will take a season or two for it
to reach nitrogen levels that won't burn the plants.

Some municipalities collect yard waste and compost it themselves.
Occasionally they sell it to residents at the bulk rate, otherwise they sell
it to wholesalers and farms.

-S