Old 15-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Ian Keeling

Default Is it too late to scarify ?

adm wrote:
As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this year ? We had
the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been told it needs to be
done by then by some, and that it doesn't matter by others....

Aside from the issue as to whether it's right to scarify before or after
first frost, I think if I scarified now (that the ground is fairly soft
after the rain we've had) there wouldn't be much "lawn" left - I think
the scarifying rake would tear out too much of the grass... I wouldn't
have the nerve and would rather wait till the live grass has a bit more
anchorage before trying to remove the dead stuff.