Old 16-11-2005, 08:53 AM
adm

Default Is it too late to scarify ?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Ian Keeling wrote:
adm wrote:
As the header says, is it now too late to scarify my lawn this

year
? We had the first frost (South Surrey) yesterday and I have been
told it needs to be done by then by some, and that it doesn't

matter
by others....

Aside from the issue as to whether it's right to scarify before or
after first frost, I think if I scarified now (that the ground is
fairly soft after the rain we've had) there wouldn't be much "lawn"
left - I think the scarifying rake would tear out too much of the
grass... I wouldn't have the nerve and would rather wait till the
live grass has a bit more anchorage before trying to remove the

dead
stuff.

It's your lawn, not mine; but are you sure you need to scarify at
all? I suppose your lawn has a bad case of thatchy stuff or moss
interfering with the green bits. Otherwise, there must be more useful
ways of getting exercise.

:-)

Yep - lots of thatch and quite a bit of moss in some areas. Some of it is
good, but some of it is very springy and thatchy.

Anyway - I think I'll leave it until spring. And hiring a petrol scarifyer
is a definite - there's 800 square metres to do.

--
Mike.