Old 18-11-2005, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Default Highest Price Paid at a Society Auction?

Dear Diana, Kudos to you, your auctions sound like the people have a
great time. If we ever visit the east coast I will plan on going when you
have an auction. Wondering if you dance? Also what does Frank do?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, All,

Just curious. We had our semi-annual auction last Saturday afternoon
(yrs truly was the auctioneer, thus satisfying my inner ham). We
didn't get the crowd that we generally see, but every plant sold and
we probably gained a few new members.

One beautiful specimen of Bc. Maikai 'Mayumi' sold for $140. I was
upping the bids in $20 increments. I really thought I could get it a
little higher, but one of the bidders chickened out.

All plants for auction belonged to Society members (no dealers), but
the public is invited to bid. I know some Societies purchase plants
and then auction them off, but for us it's a vehicle for members to
get rid of duplicates, scale down, etc. We don't make much on this.
We collect 10% to cover expenses.

Given those parameters, what kind of money do plants bring at your
auctions?
Oh, yes....I discovered a really neat way to get people to bid up an
Onc. Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'. Before the bidding commenced I
made the whole room sing the refrain from "Sharry Baby". Still
laughing about that one.
Diana