Old 17-11-2005, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Highest Price Paid at a Society Auction?

Hi, All,

Just curious. We had our semi-annual auction last Saturday afternoon (yrs
truly was the auctioneer, thus satisfying my inner ham). We didn't get the
crowd that we generally see, but every plant sold and we probably gained a
few new members.

One beautiful specimen of Bc. Maikai 'Mayumi' sold for $140. I was upping
the bids in $20 increments. I really thought I could get it a little higher,
but one of the bidders chickened out.

All plants for auction belonged to Society members (no dealers), but the
public is invited to bid. I know some Societies purchase plants and then
auction them off, but for us it's a vehicle for members to get rid of
duplicates, scale down, etc. We don't make much on this. We collect 10% to
cover expenses.

Given those parameters, what kind of money do plants bring at your auctions?

Oh, yes....I discovered a really neat way to get people to bid up an Onc.
Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance'. Before the bidding commenced I made the whole
room sing the refrain from "Sharry Baby". Still laughing about that one.

Diana

Old 17-11-2005, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Last I looked -- and it's been a couple years -- my closest societies were
mostly selling purchased plants, and mostly in the 4" size, so they're not
getting those kind of prices. What size was that Maikai, did it have lots
of flowers on lots of leads? Kenni

.. .

Old 17-11-2005, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Kenni Judd wrote:
Last I looked -- and it's been a couple years -- my closest societies were
mostly selling purchased plants, and mostly in the 4" size, so they're not
getting those kind of prices. What size was that Maikai, did it have lots
of flowers on lots of leads? Kenni

Diana, more importantly, can you sell another one at that price? I
have a couple huge Maikai... *grin*

We don't usually do a live auction at our society meetings, but I
usually am auctioneer for a couple events at the judging center. I
don't think we've sold a plant for over 100 dollars before. Usually
plants sell in the 10 to 25 dollar range.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 17-11-2005, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Kenni,

The plant was enormous. I think the pot was 8", but it was almost impossible
to tell. Covered with blooms, cascading from every direction. I would put an
estimate at 250, but certainly over 200. And it was as clean as a whistle.

The sellers of that plant have an orchid set up that resembles a botanical
garden; it's fabulous.

Diana

Old 17-11-2005, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Diana, more importantly, can you sell another one at that price? I have
a couple huge Maikai... *grin*

Sure, Rob! All you need to do is fly it in for our next auction in April and
join the Society, LOL!

We don't usually do a live auction at our society meetings, but I usually
am auctioneer for a couple events at the judging center. I don't think
we've sold a plant for over 100 dollars before. Usually plants sell in
the 10 to 25 dollar range.

At our last auction, in spring, I sold a mounted Rhy. digbyana for $105,
which was more than I thought it would go for. It wasn't particularly neat,
and showed the wear from growing outside under a tree. But two people
battled for it. The seller was thrilled. I think the Maikai set a record for
us.

Diana

Old 18-11-2005, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Dear Diana, Kudos to you, your auctions sound like the people have a
great time. If we ever visit the east coast I will plan on going when you
have an auction. Wondering if you dance? Also what does Frank do?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 18-11-2005, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Wondering if you dance? Also what does Frank do?

LOL, Wendy! No, I do not dance, but I do prance a bit. Frank is part of the
Frank & Diana Show. We have a great time.

We'd love to have you come to an auction!

Diana

Old 21-11-2005, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GARLAND HANSON

Diana,
We had a newly-awarded phrag division bring $200 last year!

Interesting that your society only takes 10% off the top. The club I'm in
now gives the member a choice of donating the entire amount or 65% of the
take to the club; the balance to the member.

I was in a club in SoCal where 100% of the take went to the club! With that
club, a donated plant is a donated plant. Most were extras or divisions;
many bare root!

By the way, our "member" auction was held last month. For the first time,
we used the services of a professional auctioneer that is a friend of one of
our boardmembers. A club member (me) would describe the plant, pull up a
photo of the flower on the screen (laptop, projector, powerpoint, internet,
etc.) then hand the plant to the auctioneer. The sale went MUCH faster and
our final take was approximately 40% more than usual. We'll use him again
in the Spring!!! We had no large sales this time around but we did get a
$45 bid on a blooming plant that we paid $6.50 for!!! (Carmela's) We
generally buy a few blooming plants to spice up the auction table at the
Members' auction.

Hope this helps!!!

Garland

Old 21-11-2005, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Garland,

It's interesting to hear the various systems Societies use. For us, the
auctions serve dual purposes. They allow our members to downsize
collections, sell duplicates, etc. Second, they have been a vehicle to
expose the public to the Society, and we often gain membership this way.

We don't look at this as a fund raiser at all. Our main fund raiser is our
annual AOS benched show, which continues to grow in size. We have a vendor
waiting list for that.

Speaking of sales again, your story about the $200 Phrag. division reminds
me about a Paph. St. Swithin specimen (fabulous specimen!) which was pulled
for judging at our show a couple of years ago. It was awarded both an AM and
a CCM at the same time. The owner was offered $300 for it, which he took.
I'd be willing to bet that the purchaser cut it up and sold the pieces at a
hefty profit.

Diana

Old 22-11-2005, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GARLAND HANSON

Diana,
Apparently my club did not have a show last year. I'm new with the group.

Does your show generate income from a percentage of vendor sales, a
flat-rate vendor fee, and/or price of admission for the general public? How
much is your vendor fee or percentage?

Do you also generate income by selling corsages or other "products"?

Thanks,
Garland

Old 25-11-2005, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Aaron Hicks

We have an annual auction each December for the Orchid Society of
Arizona. In order to clear out a greenhouse bay for keeping birds (believe
it or not), the grower at Arizona State University donated two large
plants of an unknown encyclia or epidendrum to the orchid society. We
hauled them away in an SUV. They fit OK in the back of our treasurer's
Yukon. I think it was one of those Epi. nocturnum-type plants, two
divisions from the same specimen that had grown disturbingly large.

As to how big they were- I don't know. The smaller one had at
least 75 growths; the larger one was a monster. We put them up as the last
items for the December auction. We'd covered them up as surprises. We
unveiled the smaller of the two, and I think it fetched $75. Then we
yanked the tablecloth off the larger one, and it was bid up to $100 or so.
It really was one hell of a specimen, and in surprisingly good shape- nice
and even, with no "holes," really, for such a large plant. But we had no
ID, and I could only guess from dried, faded flowers that it was an epi
with those big, starry flowers.

But really the big ticket items are some unusual books and
miscellaneous hardware that people either no longer need, or give up when
they move or get out of the hobby.

The address in the header doesn't work. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ