Old 01-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Martin Brown

Default Weedol

Alan Gould wrote:

In article , Ben
writes
Quite simply ... does anyone know what the most effective weed killer

is?

I've got a huge patch of weeds and nettles at the bottom of the garden
which I've finally got around to getting rid of.

Hoe them, hoe them and hoe them again.

Nettles are tough but shallow rooted and fairly easily ripped up. If you
dress that part you can wade in and tear them out in bulk. Provided you
have a hot heap it makes great compost too. You can also bend the prongs on
a fork doing it if they are not decent quality tools.

Brambles are a bit more troublesome. They are worth using glyphosate on -
which is the least environmentally damaging of the powerful contact
weedkillers. And buy the own brand version with the highest % active
ingredient rather than the brand name stuff (unless you actually like
Monsanto).

Nettles will even give up the ghost if you bash them every time you walk
past. I leave some growing in the rough end of my garden for the
butterflies. I have never needed weedkiller to control them.

Regards,
Martin Brown