Old 31-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Ben

Default Weedol

Quite simply ... does anyone know what the most effective weed killer
is?

I've got a huge patch of weeds and nettles at the bottom of the garden
which I've finally got around to getting rid of.

Cheers in advance.
Old 31-01-2003, 05:39 PM
JimM

Glyphosate type ones have worked the best for me, they kill the whole plant
including the root. They can take a few weeks to work and you might need a
second application on really tough weeds. Roundup and Tumbleweed are the
most commonly available, with the latter being the cheaper but just as
effective IME.

Jim

om...

Old 31-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Ben" wrote in message Quite simply ... does anyone know what the most
effective weed killer
is?

I've got a huge patch of weeds and nettles at the bottom of the garden
which I've finally got around to getting rid of.

Roundup, a Glyphosate weedkiller, is excellent as it is transported around
the plant to kill it all, but must be sprayed onto the green growing leaves
to be absorbed into the plants system.
Best done when the plants are growing strongly, not now.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 31-01-2003, 06:46 PM
PaulK

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Ben
writes
Quite simply ... does anyone know what the most effective weed killer
is?

I've got a huge patch of weeds and nettles at the bottom of the garden
which I've finally got around to getting rid of.

Hoe them, hoe them and hoe them again.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Ho, ho, ho! that sounds like hard work!

pk

Old 01-02-2003, 09:11 AM
pied piper

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , PaulK
writes

Ho, ho, ho! that sounds like hard work!

It could be hard work if the whole lot were tackled at once. If hoeing
is done regularly in an average garden, ten minutes a day will be enough
to keep weeds clear in areas where they are not wanted.
--
10 minutes a day hoeing just spray them its easier and more effective

Old 01-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Martin Brown

Alan Gould wrote:

In article , Ben
writes
Quite simply ... does anyone know what the most effective weed killer

is?

I've got a huge patch of weeds and nettles at the bottom of the garden
which I've finally got around to getting rid of.

Hoe them, hoe them and hoe them again.

Nettles are tough but shallow rooted and fairly easily ripped up. If you
dress that part you can wade in and tear them out in bulk. Provided you
have a hot heap it makes great compost too. You can also bend the prongs on
a fork doing it if they are not decent quality tools.

Brambles are a bit more troublesome. They are worth using glyphosate on -
which is the least environmentally damaging of the powerful contact
weedkillers. And buy the own brand version with the highest % active
ingredient rather than the brand name stuff (unless you actually like
Monsanto).

Nettles will even give up the ghost if you bash them every time you walk
past. I leave some growing in the rough end of my garden for the
butterflies. I have never needed weedkiller to control them.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 01-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Martin Brown
writes

Nettles are tough but shallow rooted and fairly easily ripped up. If you
dress that part you can wade in and tear them out in bulk.

And if you're not dressed for it, you can still knock aside the growth,
lever up some roots and pull on those. I've cleared several square
metres of established nettle patch in sandals and without gloves.

Provided you
have a hot heap it makes great compost too. You can also bend the prongs on
a fork doing it if they are not decent quality tools.

You can even break the tines on a Spear and Jackson!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 02-02-2003, 04:38 AM
pied piper

for brambles use SBK
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Alan Gould wrote:

In article , Ben
writes

Old 05-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Robert Bacon

What about Horse Tail (or Marestail)? Do you tink that this treatment would
work for this? I am fast coming aroun to the idea that I should just ignore
it, because last year I was having difficulty sleeping while I worried about
it. Not every night , you understand, some nights I worried about slugs.
Kathy

"Alan Gould"

Hoe them, hoe them and hoe them again.

Nettles are tough but shallow rooted and fairly easily ripped up. If you

Brambles are a bit more troublesome.

plants are going to return for further attention
(Snip snip)

removed two or three times. If hoeing is done regularly it will also
deal with newly established weeds, which will inevitably arrive however
well initial clearance is done.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Weedol 2 Mervington United Kingdom 10 15-09-2015 01:39 PM
weedol vs roundup? [email protected] United Kingdom 12 11-08-2015 09:35 PM
Safe to use Weedol 2 now on my overgown vegetable plot? 66oldgit United Kingdom 7 05-05-2013 01:15 PM
What Good is Weedol? Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 2 24-07-2008 08:34 PM
Weedol Alan Gould United Kingdom 0 05-02-2003 06:01 AM