Old 20-11-2005, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Acid for berries

On 11/19/05 8:11 PM, in article
, "Kathy"
wrote:

Does anyone know a good way to acidify soil for blueberries *other
than* aluminum sulfate? We're not much into eating aluminum. Is there
anything natural? Could we use pine needles, and if so, how much?

Kathy

I would not worry much about aluminum. Aluminum is the most common metallic
element in the Earth's crust. It usually is in more insoluble form than
aluminum sulfate. Anyway, I have not heard of using aluminum sulfate for
acidifying soil. Gypsum, calcium sulfate, should do the job. Elemental
sulfur should also do the job. If you are into natural, you cannot beat
gypsum.

I eat aluminum (hydroxide) all the time as an antacid. It also helps reduce
diarrhea.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush