Old 20-11-2005, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

Default Acid for berries

Does anyone know a good way to acidify soil for blueberries *other
than* aluminum sulfate? We're not much into eating aluminum. Is there
anything natural? Could we use pine needles, and if so, how much?

Kathy

Old 20-11-2005, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Kathy" wrote:

Does anyone know a good way to acidify soil for blueberries *other
than* aluminum sulfate? We're not much into eating aluminum. Is there
anything natural? Could we use pine needles, and if so, how much?

Kathy

Dilute vinegar?
Just be careful with it!

Surely there are soil acidifiers that are NOT aluminum based at your
local nursery???

Here we go!
Sulfur! :-)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...onents/1731-05
..html

Gotta love google. G
--
Om.

Old 20-11-2005, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
rmwatkin

Hi All,

peat will asidify your soil, so will pine needles. You may need quite a lot
and peat could be expensive in your part of the world. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Kathy" wrote:

Does anyone know a good way to acidify soil for blueberries *other
than* aluminum sulfate? We're not much into eating aluminum. Is there
anything natural? Could we use pine needles, and if so, how much?

Kathy

Dilute vinegar?
Just be careful with it!

Surely there are soil acidifiers that are NOT aluminum based at your
local nursery???

Here we go!
Sulfur! :-)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...onents/1731-05
.html

Gotta love google. G
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
Nicholson

Old 21-11-2005, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
wrote:

On 11/20/05 3:32 AM, in article
, "OmManiPadmeOmelet"
wrote:

Aluminum is not easily eliminated by the body and will build up to toxic
levels... and has been linked to alzheimers.

That is why it is constipating. It forms bricks before getting absorbed. The
connection to Alzheimer disease was always tenuous and has now been refuted.

Don't count on it. ;-)

If you want to relieve diarrhea, eat more cheese.
For a good antacid, just Calcium carbonate. (tums or rolaids).

Limestone does indeed work well but produces some gas.

shrugs never has for me, but YMMV.

I take Xantac generic. That is a stomach acid reducer and is FAR
superior to antacids.

I was told by a hematologist that ranitidine was the reason for a low
platelet count. I won't deny that ranitidine is effective.

Never affected my platelet count and I run it monthly.
There are advantages to being a lab tech, and the hematology section
supervisor. G Mine runs around 290,000/mm3. Well in normal range.
I take Ranitidine any time I have GR, generally 3 or 4 times per week.

Never ever have heard of it affecting plt count or any other
hematological parameters. You could try Cimetidine if you are worried.
It works reasonably well too but takes a slightly higher dose IMHO.

If you are running a low PLT count, there are a number of things that
can do that. Alcohol, ITP, auto-immune disorders, AIDS, and other immune
system problems, as well as chronic GI problems with chronic blood loss.

-- Ferme le Bush

--
Om.

Old 21-11-2005, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

Fascinating! It says to use elemental sulfur. I'll have to track that
down. Thanks!

Kathy

Old 21-11-2005, 07:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"Kathy" wrote:

Fascinating! It says to use elemental sulfur. I'll have to track that
down. Thanks!

Kathy

Most welcome! :-)
I got sulfur powder from my local nursery, "Gardenville".
They sold it to me to correct a root fungal infection that
was killing my Ivy.

Worked too!

I treated with sulfur first and watered it in, waited 2 weeks then
treated with a soil flora powder supplement.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 21-11-2005, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Aluminum Sulphate is the fastest, Sulfur works well. Pine straw, oak
leaves will maintain a low pH , but take a lot of time if you have a
high pH. If your pH is 6 or below, these mulches may be all you need.
If you have a pH approaching 7, most likely there are alot of buffers
in the soil whic will keep the pH high. If which case only shock
treatments with acidifiers will work. Most local nurseries will sell
something like Green Light Soil acidfier. It is in liquid form, mush
easier to get apply accurately than powders.

Old 22-11-2005, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Keith Warren

"Kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know a good way to acidify soil for blueberries *other
than* aluminum sulfate? We're not much into eating aluminum. Is there
anything natural? Could we use pine needles, and if so, how much?

Kathy

I've had great results with Oak Leaves. Pile'em as high as you can and they
will not only raise the acidity but improve the soil at the same time. Our
yeilds have improved dramatically since the Old Guy next door turned us on
to the practice.

Keith

Old 09-01-2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Benny F. Sevilla

I use pine needles as much as I can get from my neighbors; the needles are
also good for cutting down the weeds.
oups.com...