Old 20-11-2005, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Holmes

Default Too late to plant spring bulbs ?

Pam Moore wrote:
On 19 Nov 2005 07:27:09 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However,
the recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was
wondering if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the
garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

If the ground is frozen, as it may well be at the moment, what I have
done is plant them in pots and keep in a sheltered position, then
plant the whold potful in Spring.

An advantage of doing this is that, come Spring, you can see just where
there's an empty space that needs bulbs. I use cheap black pots, which stand
on the patio until the bulbs flower, then I place them on the soil in the
garden. They hide well amongst bare branches until the ground's warm enough
to plant their contents.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England