Old 19-11-2005, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C

Default Too late to plant spring bulbs ?

Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However, the
recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was wondering
if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

Uncle-C

Old 19-11-2005, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However, the
recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was wondering
if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

No it's not too late, bung 'em in. They'll know what to do.

Steve

Old 19-11-2005, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

I'm still planting mine

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 20-11-2005, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On 19 Nov 2005 07:27:09 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However, the
recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was wondering
if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

If the ground is frozen, as it may well be at the moment, what I have
done is plant them in pots and keep in a sheltered position, then
plant the whold potful in Spring.

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-11-2005, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Uncle-C wrote:
Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However, the
recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was wondering
if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

no not too late at all - one thing to remeber though when doing any winter
planting is not to bury the top/frozen soil at the bottom of the planting
hole.

pk

Old 20-11-2005, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Holmes

Pam Moore wrote:
On 19 Nov 2005 07:27:09 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However,
the recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was
wondering if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the
garden ?
Thanks for any advice.

If the ground is frozen, as it may well be at the moment, what I have
done is plant them in pots and keep in a sheltered position, then
plant the whold potful in Spring.

An advantage of doing this is that, come Spring, you can see just where
there's an empty space that needs bulbs. I use cheap black pots, which stand
on the patio until the bulbs flower, then I place them on the soil in the
garden. They hide well amongst bare branches until the ground's warm enough
to plant their contents.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 21-11-2005, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Scott L. Hadley

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because of the mild October we had much of my garden was still in
flower and as a result I delayed my spring bulb planting. However, the
recent frosts has brought about a dramatic reversal ! I was wondering
if it is too late to plant for a spring bloom in the garden ?

I'm still planting them in Maine, US! Fall was delayed, as now is winter.
For me, it's too late when the ground is too frozen to be broken by a strong
spade. Or when deep snow comes. Whichever happens first. Neither appear
imminent, but I did very diplomatically advise a client not to order even
more bulbs---

Old 21-11-2005, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"Scott L. Hadley" wrote in message

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm still planting them in Maine, US! Fall was delayed, as now is winter.
For me, it's too late when the ground is too frozen to be broken by a
strong spade. Or when deep snow comes. Whichever happens first. Neither
appear imminent, but I did very diplomatically advise a client not to
order even more bulbs---

aye, but Maine is a vastly different climate than the UK.....the winter is
so 'long' in that snow country that even if you plant on January 1st. there
is enough cold temp. for the bulbs to do their thing....of course by the end
of December you would need a bulldozer to dig up the ground.........