Old 22-11-2005, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GARLAND HANSON

Default Highest Price Paid at a Society Auction?

Diana,
Apparently my club did not have a show last year. I'm new with the group.

Does your show generate income from a percentage of vendor sales, a
flat-rate vendor fee, and/or price of admission for the general public? How
much is your vendor fee or percentage?

Do you also generate income by selling corsages or other "products"?

Thanks,
Garland

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Hi, Garland,

It's interesting to hear the various systems Societies use. For us, the
auctions serve dual purposes. They allow our members to downsize
collections, sell duplicates, etc. Second, they have been a vehicle to
expose the public to the Society, and we often gain membership this way.

We don't look at this as a fund raiser at all. Our main fund raiser is our
annual AOS benched show, which continues to grow in size. We have a vendor
waiting list for that.

Speaking of sales again, your story about the $200 Phrag. division reminds
me about a Paph. St. Swithin specimen (fabulous specimen!) which was
pulled for judging at our show a couple of years ago. It was awarded both
an AM and a CCM at the same time. The owner was offered $300 for it, which
he took. I'd be willing to bet that the purchaser cut it up and sold the
pieces at a hefty profit.

Diana