Old 24-11-2005, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

Default dogs and varmints?

A dog would help. A cat would too. The bigger the better. Also if *you*
pee all over the place that helps a lot.

Electric fence?

Good luck! John!

George wrote:
Our yard seems to have a critter magnet. Mostly, woodchucks, skunks,
squirrels, occasional racoons, and a few deer. It has cover and food,
and the food includes our garden.

We've tried fencing the garden, which helps. But, in the end, they
always get in. Trapping and 'relocating' also helps, but the supply
seems inexhaustible. And, by the time I know that I need to set the
trap, the damage is often already well under way.

So, we were thinking, dog. Maybe a dog would just discourage all
these guys. If anyone has any pro/con to share on this, I'd
appreciate hearing it.

Or, we could just grow garlic. Nobody seems to eat that.

Thanks,
George