Old 24-11-2005, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George

Default dogs and varmints?

Our yard seems to have a critter magnet. Mostly, woodchucks, skunks,
squirrels, occasional racoons, and a few deer. It has cover and food,
and the food includes our garden.

We've tried fencing the garden, which helps. But, in the end, they
always get in. Trapping and 'relocating' also helps, but the supply
seems inexhaustible. And, by the time I know that I need to set the
trap, the damage is often already well under way.

So, we were thinking, dog. Maybe a dog would just discourage all
these guys. If anyone has any pro/con to share on this, I'd
appreciate hearing it.

Or, we could just grow garlic. Nobody seems to eat that.

Thanks,
George
Old 24-11-2005, 09:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

"George" wrote in message
Our yard seems to have a critter magnet. Mostly, woodchucks, skunks,
squirrels, occasional racoons, and a few deer. It has cover and food,
and the food includes our garden.

We've tried fencing the garden, which helps. But, in the end, they
always get in. Trapping and 'relocating' also helps, but the supply
seems inexhaustible. And, by the time I know that I need to set the
trap, the damage is often already well under way.

So, we were thinking, dog. Maybe a dog would just discourage all
these guys. If anyone has any pro/con to share on this, I'd
appreciate hearing it.

Or, we could just grow garlic. Nobody seems to eat that.

Except frogs :-))

Steve

Old 24-11-2005, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

A dog would help. A cat would too. The bigger the better. Also if *you*
pee all over the place that helps a lot.

Electric fence?

Good luck! John!

Old 24-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Smile

shazzbat "George" wrote in message
Our yard seems to have a critter magnet. Mostly, woodchucks, skunks,
squirrels, occasional racoons, and a few deer. It has cover and food,
and the food includes our garden.

We've tried fencing the garden, which helps. But, in the end, they
always get in. Trapping and 'relocating' also helps, but the supply
seems inexhaustible. And, by the time I know that I need to set the
trap, the damage is often already well under way.

So, we were thinking, dog. Maybe a dog would just discourage all
these guys. If anyone has any pro/con to share on this, I'd
appreciate hearing it.

Or, we could just grow garlic. Nobody seems to eat that.

Except frogs :-))

Steve

i would certainly consider getting a dog we had skunks and other animals around here for awhile but since our son brought his dog home a few years back there sure are a lot less of them around.
she is a mid size swiss style dog. she is an outside dog so can take care of things when these animals decide to show their noses lol.
the down side is if u have a dog especially with those kinds of animals around its an absolute must to keep all of the dogs shots such as rabies and distemper up to date and those sure dont come cheap as well u have a dog to clean up behind, feed and water lol.
but thats far better than the animals stealing all your grub and the love, attention and companionship u give the dog is given back one hundred fold so it makes things well worth the extra chores lol.
good luck, sockiescat.
Old 24-11-2005, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

And it does not have to be a big dog:

http://128.192.110.51/gifs/112405/DSC02127.JPG

that was this morning. Hopefully it was one of the ones that like to
chew on the house.

John!

Old 24-11-2005, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Go whole hog. As Pinhead says, electric fence and pee (the latter
particularly effective with rodents), but also fencing under the fence
because that is the way rabbits and woodchucks prefer. The electric
fence, strung a few inches from the top of the fence, is particularly
impressive, one touch and squirrels and deer stay away for years. I had
it down for three years, but I had a deer come in so I put it on again.
One month later, the breakins are over and the fence is off again. It
only cost 20 bucks. They have to get around the fence, either under or
over, so electric plus underground fencing take away both options.

Old 24-11-2005, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Alternate Identity

In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

And it does not have to be a big dog:

http://128.192.110.51/gifs/112405/DSC02127.JPG

that was this morning. Hopefully it was one of the ones that like to
chew on the house.

John!

Yay. ;-)

I've had that problem too, to the point where I poison the little tree
rats! Sick of the damage they do.
Old 25-11-2005, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
LJ

Don't get a dog if you are just getting it for critter control in the back
yard. Dogs are really social critters and require love and attention.
Getting a dog to just leave it penned up in the yard is cruel and unusual
punishment. It would consider itself part of your family and wonder what it
did wrong to be excluded from family life.

So if this is your wish then 2 dogs would be kinder so they could be family
to each other.

Old 27-11-2005, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

simy1 wrote:

Go whole hog. As Pinhead says, electric fence and pee........

In the future, I would like both of you to refrain from mentioning pee
and electric fences in the same sentence or even the same post!

;-)
Old 27-11-2005, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:11:57 GMT, "LJ" wrote:

Don't get a dog if you are just getting it for critter control in the back
yard. Dogs are really social critters and require love and attention.
Getting a dog to just leave it penned up in the yard is cruel and unusual
punishment. It would consider itself part of your family and wonder what it
did wrong to be excluded from family life.

Well said.

So if this is your wish then 2 dogs would be kinder so they could be family
to each other.

Or get a dog door.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 28-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Registered User

GA Pinhead How else do you test the fence to see if it is on?

John!

Steve wrote:
simy1 wrote:

Go whole hog. As Pinhead says, electric fence and pee........

In the future, I would like both of you to refrain from mentioning pee
and electric fences in the same sentence or even the same post!

;-)

now i wonder why u dont want both those words mentioned in the same post lolol.
my hubby told me that one time his dad called the boys in out of the cattle field his older brother forgot that they had turned the fencer back on for a bit and he ended up running right into it. that was an enlightening situation from what his brother told me lmaooooo.
sockiescat.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

sockiescat writes:
GA Pinhead How else do you test the fence to see if it is on?

The neighbour's dog will usually oblige soon enough.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Renee Lee

On 2005-11-24 20:11:57 -0600, "LJ" said:

Don't get a dog if you are just getting it for critter control in the back
yard. Dogs are really social critters and require love and attention.
Getting a dog to just leave it penned up in the yard is cruel and unusual
punishment. It would consider itself part of your family and wonder what it
did wrong to be excluded from family life.

So if this is your wish then 2 dogs would be kinder so they could be family
to each other.

Thank you for stating this. If you hadn't said something, I would have.

Tomato Varmints Steve Latham Edible Gardening 4 27-06-2007 12:53 PM
Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed! Bill Stock Ponds 11 18-07-2005 11:08 PM
Damn Varmints ate my Duckweed! Bill Stock Ponds 7 22-07-2004 07:38 PM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM