Old 25-11-2005, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Aaron Hicks

Default Highest Price Paid at a Society Auction?

We have an annual auction each December for the Orchid Society of
Arizona. In order to clear out a greenhouse bay for keeping birds (believe
it or not), the grower at Arizona State University donated two large
plants of an unknown encyclia or epidendrum to the orchid society. We
hauled them away in an SUV. They fit OK in the back of our treasurer's
Yukon. I think it was one of those Epi. nocturnum-type plants, two
divisions from the same specimen that had grown disturbingly large.

As to how big they were- I don't know. The smaller one had at
least 75 growths; the larger one was a monster. We put them up as the last
items for the December auction. We'd covered them up as surprises. We
unveiled the smaller of the two, and I think it fetched $75. Then we
yanked the tablecloth off the larger one, and it was bid up to $100 or so.
It really was one hell of a specimen, and in surprisingly good shape- nice
and even, with no "holes," really, for such a large plant. But we had no
ID, and I could only guess from dried, faded flowers that it was an epi
with those big, starry flowers.

But really the big ticket items are some unusual books and
miscellaneous hardware that people either no longer need, or give up when
they move or get out of the hobby.

The address in the header doesn't work. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ