Old 25-11-2005, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default pollinator for apple

The message
from "Mike Roscoe" contains these words:

For the best and heaviest crops, buy any self-fertile apple tree. You have
other apple trees of mixed varieties in and near to your garden, one of
which will surely act as a cross pollinator to yours. I have one three years
old Cox's Orange Pippin in my garden that last year had only two apples,
this year there were eighteen. The nearest apple tree to it is four gardens
down from mine and it isn't a Cox's Orange Pippin. You could consider a
family tree with three or four different varieties grafted onto the one root
stock, then you will have both eaters and cookers on the same tree.

For pollinators you need another type of apple - assuming a Cox isn't
self-fertile it will need another Cox - not.

And it could be a waste of space buying a self-fertile tree just for
that attribute - you need to like the fruit it produces.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/