Old 25-11-2005, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default pollinator for apple

We had an apple tree in our garden which looked like a Bramley. We were told
that it was a Brambly and we have chopped it down (to near house). There is
was a second apple tree, very heavily cropping, eating apple, next to it.
There are various other apples around the local area, including several
orchards. Should I buy something to pollinate the second tree which I
assuming was pollinated by the Brambly? If so then how do I know what to
buy? Should I wait until the second tree flowers and then buy something
which is also in flower? Thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 25-11-2005, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Roscoe

"H Ryder wrote: ..
Should I buy something to pollinate the second tree which I
assuming was pollinated by the Brambly? If so then how do I know what to
buy? Should I wait until the second tree flowers and then buy something
which is also in flower? Thanks in advance,

For the best and heaviest crops, buy any self-fertile apple tree. You have
other apple trees of mixed varieties in and near to your garden, one of
which will surely act as a cross pollinator to yours. I have one three years
old Cox's Orange Pippin in my garden that last year had only two apples,
this year there were eighteen. The nearest apple tree to it is four gardens
down from mine and it isn't a Cox's Orange Pippin. You could consider a
family tree with three or four different varieties grafted onto the one root
stock, then you will have both eaters and cookers on the same tree.

Mike Roscoe
-------------------------------
Remove the 'cold stuff' to reply
-------------------------------

Old 25-11-2005, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Roscoe" contains these words:

For the best and heaviest crops, buy any self-fertile apple tree. You have
other apple trees of mixed varieties in and near to your garden, one of
which will surely act as a cross pollinator to yours. I have one three years
old Cox's Orange Pippin in my garden that last year had only two apples,
this year there were eighteen. The nearest apple tree to it is four gardens
down from mine and it isn't a Cox's Orange Pippin. You could consider a
family tree with three or four different varieties grafted onto the one root
stock, then you will have both eaters and cookers on the same tree.

For pollinators you need another type of apple - assuming a Cox isn't
self-fertile it will need another Cox - not.

And it could be a waste of space buying a self-fertile tree just for
that attribute - you need to like the fruit it produces.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-11-2005, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"H Ryder" wrote in message
We had an apple tree in our garden which looked like a Bramley. We were

told
that it was a Brambly and we have chopped it down (to near house). There

is
was a second apple tree, very heavily cropping, eating apple, next to it.
There are various other apples around the local area, including several
orchards. Should I buy something to pollinate the second tree which I
assuming was pollinated by the Brambly? If so then how do I know what to
buy? Should I wait until the second tree flowers and then buy something
which is also in flower? Thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bramley is triploid and cannot pollinate other apples. So you have
lost nothing in that respect. Other trees only need to be reasonably near
to be effective pollinators. If you can see them they are close enough.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 27-11-2005, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Hello
Do you know what your second tree is?
I know you say there are other trees in the area but how far away are
these trees? In the UK fruit trees are pollinated by bees either honey
or Mason bees. Generally the advice for the domestic gardener would be
that is that if compatable trees are within 100m you should be ok. If
you are growing a triplod variety you need 2 pollinators.
Don't go for a family tree, they are a compromise. Buy a maiden, and
train it into a restricted form such as a cordon, even a vertical
cordon. One tree every metre. great value and a good way of getting in
losts of varieties
Good luck

Old 27-11-2005, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Hello
Do you know what your second tree is?
I know you say there are other trees in the area but how far away are
these trees? In the UK fruit trees are pollinated by bees either honey
or Mason bees. Generally the advice for the domestic gardener would be
that is that if compatable trees are within 100m you should be ok. If
you are growing a triplod variety you need 2 pollinators.
Don't go for a family tree, they are a compromise. Buy a maiden, and
train it into a restricted form such as a cordon, even a vertical
cordon. One tree every metre. great value and a good way of getting in
losts of varieties
Good luck

Is the bee overrated as far as pollinator? What about Hoverflies [email protected] Plant Science 7 26-05-2008 06:32 PM
Pollinating apple espalier apple Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 2 22-04-2007 05:44 PM
pollinator question brigid Gardening 0 30-04-2005 06:39 PM
Is "Pollinator" still in the newsgroup? madgardener Gardening 4 04-04-2005 06:38 PM
Pollinator Question Mikael Edible Gardening 3 14-03-2005 12:51 AM