Old 27-11-2005, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Soaking seeds

"Padger" wrote in message
. uk...
snip I get my Musa seed from Chiltern Seeds and their advice is to soak
in
boiling water for 24 hours. I assumed this meant to drop in to water just
boiled and then leave which is what I did and always have a high rate of
success.
With most of my sowings in pots/trays I spray surface of compost with
copper
fungicide, no damping off.
HTH Jim

Thanks for info. I suppose the boiled water kills off quite a few of the
bugs and startles the dormant seed into some type of life. I will give it a
try with the larger seeds although perhaps boiling water might see off the
smaller seeds.
As I have quite a lot of seeds coming I will try all the suggestions and see
which work. In addition I will try the ordinary method I normally use (no
soaking and fairly light media).
I still like to think it's the poor quality seed that gives problems rather
than the poor quality gardener.
Will add Chiltern to my amateur seed trial.

Thanks