Old 28-11-2005, 03:14 AM posted to aus.food,aus.gardens
Jacko

Default identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup

meee wrote:
while we're on the topic of pumpkins...I was given one by a neighbour that
his mum grew, and I am pretty sure it's an heirloom/heritage variety. it is
a kind of nutmeg/toast colour, not deeply ribbed, and oval longways, not
round like the japs. the rind is quite hard, and the flesh is dense with a
smaller seed cavity and deep browny orange flesh. I imagine it would be a
great roasting pumpkin, which I am trying tonight, but it was too strongly
flavoured for pumpkin scones. It is definitely not the variety you would
find in a shop, or in your average yates seeds sold in the supermarket.
anyone got any ideas? (also crossposting to aus.gardens) I am going to have
a cxrack at growing it, but if anyone is interested in seeds, I have more
than enough to share.

Whos a good enough gardener to be able to pick the TYPE of pumpkin used
in the soup.