Old 27-11-2005, 10:52 PM posted to aus.food,aus.gardens
meee

Default identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup

while we're on the topic of pumpkins...I was given one by a neighbour that
his mum grew, and I am pretty sure it's an heirloom/heritage variety. it is
a kind of nutmeg/toast colour, not deeply ribbed, and oval longways, not
round like the japs. the rind is quite hard, and the flesh is dense with a
smaller seed cavity and deep browny orange flesh. I imagine it would be a
great roasting pumpkin, which I am trying tonight, but it was too strongly
flavoured for pumpkin scones. It is definitely not the variety you would
find in a shop, or in your average yates seeds sold in the supermarket.
anyone got any ideas? (also crossposting to aus.gardens) I am going to have
a cxrack at growing it, but if anyone is interested in seeds, I have more
than enough to share.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"Bigbazza" wrote in message

"Rhonda Anderson" wrote in message
.5...
"Ms Leebee" wrote in
:

"needles" wrote in message
2 Tablespoons butter

1 cup chopped onions

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

3 cups chicken broth

1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin

Who buys pumpkin in a can ?
I'm pretty sure you can't even buy such a thing in Australia .. which
is a good thing, IMO.

I've not seen a pumpkin soup recipe using pumpkin in a can, but an awful
lot of American pumpkin pie recipes call for canned pumpkin. I have seen
it in Woolies, once, a couple of years ago. Haven't looked for it since,
so don't know if it was a one off thing.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

If it could be bought here ...Rhonda...I would say that Coles Stores would
be the one to check it out !...They appear to have a lot of things that
woolies do not stock...I have found Coles to have many imported American
products ..especially things like their Sauces !
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz

Old 28-11-2005, 03:14 AM posted to aus.food,aus.gardens
Jacko

meee wrote:
while we're on the topic of pumpkins...I was given one by a neighbour that
his mum grew, and I am pretty sure it's an heirloom/heritage variety. it is
a kind of nutmeg/toast colour, not deeply ribbed, and oval longways, not
round like the japs. the rind is quite hard, and the flesh is dense with a
smaller seed cavity and deep browny orange flesh. I imagine it would be a
great roasting pumpkin, which I am trying tonight, but it was too strongly
flavoured for pumpkin scones. It is definitely not the variety you would
find in a shop, or in your average yates seeds sold in the supermarket.
anyone got any ideas? (also crossposting to aus.gardens) I am going to have
a cxrack at growing it, but if anyone is interested in seeds, I have more
than enough to share.

Whos a good enough gardener to be able to pick the TYPE of pumpkin used
in the soup.

Curry Iapetus United Kingdom 5 24-03-2009 07:51 PM
Curry tree sapling, can I save it from fungus? John Ladasky Gardening 10 09-11-2007 12:32 AM
Curry leaf in Britain Mike Lyle United Kingdom 3 23-04-2007 09:27 PM
Curry Leaf Plant Liam Australia 2 20-12-2005 10:46 AM
Please help find Murraya koenigii/curry leaf plant Sakhiya Edible Gardening 0 07-06-2005 05:14 PM