Old 28-11-2005, 03:43 PM
restrorob restrorob is offline
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgnt Billko
My old (1960-70) Sears Suburban, 12hp has been very slow to turn over ever
since I first got it about 5 years ago. It usually starts but you'd think
it hardly turned over once or twice very slowly. I replaced the regular 12V
tractor battery with a car battery but it still turns over slow. It has the
old belt drive starter and I also swapped it with another machine - still
slow cranking. Any ideas as to how to get this sucker to spin over better ?
Yep, The compression release is worn out on the camshaft, To fix it replace the cam. I've owned 5 of these Suburbans and sold all but one hydro drive machine to pull trailers, cars and boats around with. One of these days I will pull the moter off and rebuild it and put the new cam in, But for now it does start so I let it ride.

Good Luck
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki