Old 04-02-2003, 09:12 AM
Bart

Default Manure and Fertiliser

Thanks for your reply, Alan. How long will the manure last vefore I need to
fertilise again. I put the manure down one year ago.

Thanks.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Bart
writes
I dug in loads of horse manure last spring, to condition and fertilise a

new
shrub/flower border.

I didn't use any other fertiliser because I thought the manure would do

the
job. I've just read, though, that manure is not actually a fertiliser,

it
is only a soil conditioner. Is that correct? I always though manure was

fertiliser.

If manure *is* a fertiliser, then can I use a fertiliser as normal this
year?

Well matured horse manure is one of the finest treats you can give to
your soil. It contains plenty of plant nutrients which are natural
organic fertilisers and it has lots of fibrous roughage in it which will
improve soil condition. I usually apply it before Xmas, but a good mulch
any time during winter will weather it in by spring. The surface will
then be ready to be cleared and lightly cultivated prior to use. If that
is done, no further fertilisers will be needed for normal recreational
gardening purposes including vegetable production.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.