Old 29-11-2005, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

Default composting leaves -- any to avoid?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:57:36 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article m6Gif.637964$1i.395818@pd7tw2no, "Dennis Edward"
wrote:

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've

heard
there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.

Anyone
know which ones?

I've never heard of leaves that harm compost. When fully composted (or
completely broken down into leafmold apart from a compost) all leaves
become the same healthy enrichment. But undecayed or half-decayed, the
juglone in walnut leaves can retard the growth of many plants, so it would
not be wise to use fresh-fallen walnut leaves as an uncomposted mulch in
gardens. But they'll be fine once they're coposted, the juglone completely
breaks down.

I always read that it isn't a good idea to put diseased leaves into your
compost pile. That doesn't have anything to do with a specific type of
tree, but it is probably a good policy.

I also thought intuitively that putting white-fly infested leaves from
my poor Hibiscus was a no-no, but gardener disagreed.

Might this have something to do with heat of composting? Or?

Is there any science to settle this once for all?

Persephone
--

Those who cannot remember the past
are condemned to relive it.