Old 28-11-2005, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dennis Edward

Default composting leaves -- any to avoid?

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've heard
there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost. Anyone
know which ones?

Old 28-11-2005, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat

In article m6Gif.637964$1i.395818@pd7tw2no, "Dennis Edward"
wrote:

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've heard
there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost. Anyone
know which ones?

I've never heard of leaves that harm compost. When fully composted (or
completely broken down into leafmold apart from a compost) all leaves
become the same healthy enrichment. But undecayed or half-decayed, the
juglone in walnut leaves can retard the growth of many plants, so it would
not be wise to use fresh-fallen walnut leaves as an uncomposted mulch in
gardens. But they'll be fine once they're coposted, the juglone completely
breaks down.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 28-11-2005, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

news
wrote:

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've

heard
there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.

Anyone
know which ones?

I've never heard of leaves that harm compost. When fully composted (or
completely broken down into leafmold apart from a compost) all leaves
become the same healthy enrichment. But undecayed or half-decayed, the
juglone in walnut leaves can retard the growth of many plants, so it would
not be wise to use fresh-fallen walnut leaves as an uncomposted mulch in
gardens. But they'll be fine once they're coposted, the juglone completely
breaks down.

I always read that it isn't a good idea to put diseased leaves into your
compost pile. That doesn't have anything to do with a specific type of
tree, but it is probably a good policy.

Old 29-11-2005, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:57:36 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

I also thought intuitively that putting white-fly infested leaves from
my poor Hibiscus was a no-no, but gardener disagreed.

Might this have something to do with heat of composting? Or?

Is there any science to settle this once for all?

Persephone
--

Those who cannot remember the past
are condemned to relive it.

Santayana
Old 29-11-2005, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've
heard there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.
Anyone know which ones?

It seems many rosearians recommend not using rose cuttings in composts,
because fungus spores can supposedly survive and be spread about the garden.

Walnut leaves they can inhibit growth.

-S

Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've
heard there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.
Anyone know which ones?

I assume you're talking about leaves that have naturally fallen from trees.
Leaves with waxy coatings such as Southern Magnolia and hollies are slow to
compost. However, I run my magnolias through a shredder and they do fine.
I don't compost holly leaves because of the prickers.

_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 03-12-2005, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Dennis Edward" wrote:

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've
heard there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.
Anyone know which ones?

You may want to avoid composting:

Rhubarb leaves (oxalic acid)
Oak (leaves are rich in nitrogen but slow to decompose.)
Spruce and Pine needles (high in acid and resin, slow to decompose)

Each of these has special problems. Some tend to kill the bacteria that
do the composting. A skilled, patient composter will have no problem.

Black Walnut shells (juglone - herbicidal toxins)*
Black Walnut leaves (juglone - herbicidal toxins)*
Weeds with mature seeds*
Diseased or insect infested plants*
Crabgrass*
Ivy*
Poison Oak and Poison Ivy*

*These materials should not be used in gardens unless they are
completely composted. Once composted, none of these materials pose any
problems.

Shinny leaves like laurel, holly, and rhododendron are slower to
decompose and compost better if chopped first.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

Stephen Henning expounded:

Oak (leaves are rich in nitrogen but slow to decompose.)

True, but chopped up, they make wonderful mulch for a perennial
border, far nicer than bark mulch!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 06-12-2005, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman

Why would a high in nitrogen oak leaf decompose slowly?

_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
Stephen Henning expounded:

Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"Compostman" expounded:

Why would a high in nitrogen oak leaf decompose slowly?

Because they almost seem a bit waxy, I guess. Maple leaves turn to
dust much quicker than oak leaves do, in my experience.

Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman

"Ann" wrote in message
"Compostman" expounded:

Why would a high in nitrogen oak leaf decompose slowly?

Because they almost seem a bit waxy, I guess. Maple leaves turn to
dust much quicker than oak leaves do, in my experience.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

I've never seen oak leaves that were waxy. Mine compost very quickly. In
fact, they've turned to leaf mold sometimes when I've left them in a bag for
a few months. I love oak leaves in the compost. My problem, sometimes with
maple leaves is that they stick together.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 06-02-2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
skwehe

It probably depends on the type of oak. My live oak has leaves that are
small, hard and glossy and they take time to break down. My Chiquapin and
Monterrey oaks have large glossy leaves that are more flexible and they
break down quite easily.
Same family, different characteristics...
susan
"Compostman" wrote in message
"Compostman" expounded:

Old 09-02-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Groundhog

"Dennis Edward" wrote in

For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've
heard there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in
compost. Anyone know which ones?

If you live near a forest, don't compost anything that a bear has used for
toilet paper.