Old 29-11-2005, 04:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
99windstar

Default Bad pump or filters?

We are trying to figure out why all last winter this pump/filter set up
worked perfectly. We would
go weeks without having to clean the filters. When it was time to clean we
would lift the filter out
and there would be at least 1/4 inch of muck sitting on top. So it wasn't
any wonder why the fountian
spray wasn't high. This year with new filter pads (twice) the longest we've
gone is a week but average time
a few hours before the fountain spray gets lower (once the spray gets lower
the pump usually turns over).
When we pull the filter out the filter pads are hardly dirty, no muck, no
leaves, nothing just a little browned because
after all it was sitting in the pond. I am not convinced that the filter is
the problem yet but not sure how to troubleshoot
the problem.
We like to have this pump running during the winter for a couple of reasons.
One our pond is visable thru' our big
picture window so it is nice to look at during the winter. The second is
spring start up is so much easier when the pond
is already clean/clear of muck and junk. Our first winter with this pond we
didn't have a pump/filter, the pond looked disgusting
during the winter and spring start up was a nightmare.

"~ jan jjspond" wrote in message
If this is just for winter mode you might want to put the pump either clam
shelled similar to:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg
or in the filter without the pads, as long as there is screening to block
anything big from entering. The idea is to allow lots of surface area for
only small particles to pass thru, yet bigger particular can not clog the
entire surface at one time.

Next year you might want to seriously consider netting or screening the
pond:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/003.jpg ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~