Old 29-11-2005, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default grape vine pruning

We have a grape vine which had a few purple eating grapes on it this year at
one end. Currently I have a big (say 12 ' long, a couple of feet wide and 8
' tall) mass of tangled brown stems. All the info I can find just tells me
to cut back fruited bits to within 2 buds of teh "main stem". I can see a
big, thick (2 inches thick) stalk running through this tangled mass but do
not think that I could untangle the fruited bits to cut them back to it and
the whole thing is so densely matted that it seems pointless. Any
suggestions as to what I should do? It is on a south facing fence. Thank
you,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)