Old 29-11-2005, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default grape vine pruning

We have a grape vine which had a few purple eating grapes on it this year at
one end. Currently I have a big (say 12 ' long, a couple of feet wide and 8
' tall) mass of tangled brown stems. All the info I can find just tells me
to cut back fruited bits to within 2 buds of teh "main stem". I can see a
big, thick (2 inches thick) stalk running through this tangled mass but do
not think that I could untangle the fruited bits to cut them back to it and
the whole thing is so densely matted that it seems pointless. Any
suggestions as to what I should do? It is on a south facing fence. Thank
you,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 29-11-2005, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"H Ryder" wrote...
We have a grape vine which had a few purple eating grapes on it this year
at
one end. Currently I have a big (say 12 ' long, a couple of feet wide and
8
' tall) mass of tangled brown stems. All the info I can find just tells me
to cut back fruited bits to within 2 buds of teh "main stem". I can see a
big, thick (2 inches thick) stalk running through this tangled mass but do
not think that I could untangle the fruited bits to cut them back to it
and
the whole thing is so densely matted that it seems pointless. Any
suggestions as to what I should do? It is on a south facing fence. Thank
you,

A neighbours was like that. Just start one end and prune hard to 2 buds so
you end up with the main stem with some sticks sticking out. If it is truly
impossible to get at it then cut it back with shears first so you can see
what you are doing.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-11-2005, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

We have a grape vine which had a few purple eating grapes on it this year at
one end. Currently I have a big (say 12 ' long, a couple of feet wide and 8
' tall) mass of tangled brown stems. All the info I can find just tells me
to cut back fruited bits to within 2 buds of teh "main stem". I can see a
big, thick (2 inches thick) stalk running through this tangled mass but do
not think that I could untangle the fruited bits to cut them back to it and
the whole thing is so densely matted that it seems pointless. Any
suggestions as to what I should do? It is on a south facing fence. Thank
you,

Cut the lot back to the thick main stem, leaving two buds on each
lateral you want to grow and to bear fruit. Not all of the laterals may
have flowers though, so allow some extra ones to grow.

o| |
/¯¯¯ |
¯°¯| |
| |
| |o____
| ______\
| |
| |
o| |
/¯¯¯ |
¯°¯| |
| |
| |o____
| ______\
| |
| |
o| |
/¯¯¯ |
¯°¯| |
| |
| |o____
| ______\
| |
| |

Don't worry - it will get just as large next year, and (weather
permitting) fruit a lot better.

Ask about pruning when the bunches of grapes have set - never prune in
the spring before this has happened, or the vine could bleed to death.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-11-2005, 02:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Everyone has their own idea of how it is to be done. I make sure my
laterals are at least 6 to 8 inches apart, and then leave two buds on. I
took a pruning class from an University that specialized in raising grapes
and fruit trees.

I will also prune mine sometime between now and Feb 15 while the plant is
dormant. This eliminates bleeding, and the insects are out of commission,
that would normally enjoy a fresh spot in which to enter the plant.

Dwayne

Cut the lot back to the thick main stem, leaving two buds on each
lateral you want to grow and to bear fruit. Not all of the laterals may
have flowers though, so allow some extra ones to grow.

o| |
/¯¯¯ |
¯°¯| |
| |