Old 05-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ladyslipper

In article iU90a.185938$AV4.4788@sccrnsc01, "Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" writes:
| Heard on the BBC this morning that the ladyslipper is on the endangered list
| in the UK and prior to Kew Gardens getting involved there was only one left
| in the UK.....there are so many local names that I ask the
| following.........is that the same plant I have growing wild in my garden?
|
| Cypripedium reginae

No. The native one is Cypripedium calceolus. The information
that you have heard isn't quite correct, but very close. The wild
population was indeed down to one, but the explanation of how it
was protected is a bit more complicated than that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679