Old 05-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Default Ladyslipper

Heard on the BBC this morning that the ladyslipper is on the endangered list
in the UK and prior to Kew Gardens getting involved there was only one left
in the UK.....there are so many local names that I ask the
following.........is that the same plant I have growing wild in my garden?

Cypripedium reginae

Harold Walker

Old 05-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article iU90a.185938$AV4.4788@sccrnsc01, "Anne Middleton/Harold Walker" writes:
| Heard on the BBC this morning that the ladyslipper is on the endangered list
| in the UK and prior to Kew Gardens getting involved there was only one left
| in the UK.....there are so many local names that I ask the
| following.........is that the same plant I have growing wild in my garden?
|
| Cypripedium reginae

No. The native one is Cypripedium calceolus. The information
that you have heard isn't quite correct, but very close. The wild
population was indeed down to one, but the explanation of how it
was protected is a bit more complicated than that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 05-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

Quite different in flower colour and distribution, your's is from America.
If it's naturalised in your garden you are a very lucky person (or an expert
with them?).

The last remaining clump of truly wild ones was being guarded in a field
somewhere in Yorkshire I believe but has now set seed and the resultant seed
has been grown at Kew (The Sainsbury Collection?)

and some of the plants have been planted back in its native habitat.

Wasn't the Plantlife charity involved too?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 05-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Roger Van Loon

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

Heard on the BBC this morning that the ladyslipper is on the endangered list
in the UK and prior to Kew Gardens getting involved there was only one left
in the UK.....there are so many local names that I ask the
following.........is that the same plant I have growing wild in my garden?

Cypripedium reginae

Harold Walker

Well, Harold... to start anew...
If you have Cypripedium reginae "growing wild in your garden"....
Where are you (hearing the BBC?), and are you sure about the identity
of the plant?
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm
Old 05-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Kay wrote in message

Wasn't the Plantlife charity involved too?
--

I thought that too but it's not mentioned on their web site, strange. Wonder
where we both got that from?

www.rbgkew.org.uk/ksheets/sainsbury2.html

Gives lots of information on what's had and is to be done to save "our"
plant of this species.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Well, Harold... to start anew...
If you have Cypripedium reginae "growing wild in your garden"....
Where are you (hearing the BBC?), and are you sure about the identity
of the plant?
Regards,
Roger.

Cape Cod, USA.........plant identity is correct Roger......listen to the BBC
most mornings at 9am our time.......that's 2pm UK time......gotta keep up to
date with the goings on in the "old country".........HW.
..

Ladyslipper...uh...orchids desktop wallpaper Al Orchids 0 06-01-2005 05:45 PM
Ladyslipper identification Bob Orchids 4 15-10-2003 09:12 PM
Ladyslipper identification Bob Orchids 0 10-09-2003 04:27 AM
Ladyslipper Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 7 06-02-2003 04:41 PM