Old 30-11-2005, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Import of plant from USA

Rupert wrote:
"Mike Lyle"

[...]
Broadening the discussion, I wonder if it's time to stop the
importation of plants altogether. Is the, perhaps minor, increased
risk of introducing pests and diseases worth it, balanced against
any, perhaps modest, benefit?

--
Mike.

If we banned the international movement of all living creatures and
the trade in fruit and veg etc etc then you might make a more

sanitary
environment (boringly sterile)

I was actually raising a serious question, in the hope of serious
discussion. The RHS shares my concern, and a paper on the subject was
presented at a conference at Reading University last week.

--
Mike.