Old 01-12-2005, 07:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

Default Killing ivy (as Glyphosate)

Andrew Gabb wrote:
Jacko wrote:
Yeah thats all fine and well, but how do you kill that nasty ivy that
seems to resist all types of poison. Nothinh short of an all out war
with a flame thrower, involving help from the neighbours seem to shift
those..

Not easy. You need to rip it all off, leaving about 30cm of stalk. Then
use tree killer. Then probably use it again.

Wear a mask when you pull down the ivy, don't burn it, and shower
afterwards - the stuff's slightly toxic.

Andrew

Re slightly toxic, it plays havoc with my skin. Thats why I tried to get
rid of it, and it retaliated. Its also known to cause other health
problems. Not a nice weed.
Its something that others need to be aware of. Its related to poison
ivy, so that explains it...Im not sure if this stuff we have in
Australia is the actual poison ivy but we should know that at one point
it was actually imported into Australia and may be! I wonder if anyone
around this news group knows?

Usually, people develop a sensitivity to poison ivy, oak or sumac only after several encounters with the plants, sometimes over many years. However, sensitivity may occur after only one exposure.

See here. Its a warning. All the ivy's are dangerous.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html