Old 14-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Don Smith

Default Glyphosate

Does Glyphosate have a self life?
I had a mix in my sprayer which had been there for some weeks. I used it to
spray some weeds a week ago and the weeds are still doing well. Which led
me to think that perhaps I should use the mixture immediately.
Any comments please.

Don

Old 14-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Ian H

Hi Don

I don't think there are any problems with storing Glyphosate providing it is
keep away from sunlight. I have stored made up solutions for months without
any problems. Some brands you buy in the stores are ready made up solutions
that you just apply.

My Glyphosate (360 g/l) was bought at least 4 years ago and still works well
when diluted.

Problems are caused by rain after spraying and for best performance spray
when weeds are actively growing. Performance is improved by adding a
wetting agent and/or soluble fertilizer (urea) to the mix. For real stubborn
weeds spray three times a week apart.

cheers

Ian

Old 14-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Don Smith

Thanks Ian for your help.
This patch of weeds must be particularly persistent.
I'll make up another brew, add some washing up liquid and get to it.
Don

Old 14-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Basil Chupin

Don Smith wrote:
Thanks Ian for your help.
This patch of weeds must be particularly persistent.
I'll make up another brew, add some washing up liquid and get to it.
Don

One of the mistakes people make with this stuff is to prepare too strong
a mixture. Follow the instructions on the bottle when preparing the
mixture. Plants are not stupid. If they feel that the mixture is too far
away from what rain would normally feel, they consider what they are
being sprayed with as harmful to them and put into action their normal
defences by closing the stomates.

Cheers.
Old 14-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Rob & Shel

A tip the hardware store assistant gave me was to add a drop(s) of
dishwashing liquid to the mix so that it wont run off the weeds too easily.

Rob

Old 15-10-2005, 03:05 AM
John Savage

"Don Smith" writes:
Does Glyphosate have a self life?

Does made-up spray have a shelf life? If it does, then it's at least
18 months. :-)

I had a mix in my sprayer which had been there for some weeks. I used it to
spray some weeds a week ago and the weeds are still doing well. Which led
me to think that perhaps I should use the mixture immediately.

Rule #1 with glyphosate: always dilute to only half what the manufacturer
states on the side of the pack. I.E., use double strength to avoid anguish.

You have been warned.

Old 16-10-2005, 09:54 PM
SG1

I always use the woody weed setting which is 15ml per litre. Works for me. I
only make it as I need it also.
Jim

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Old 17-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Vampyre

Don Smith wrote:
Does Glyphosate have a self life?
I had a mix in my sprayer which had been there for some weeks. I used it to
spray some weeds a week ago and the weeds are still doing well. Which led
me to think that perhaps I should use the mixture immediately.
Any comments please.

Don

I'm using some that's about 5 years old.
I typically mix it stronger than the directions, and have never had any
issues.

If it's a particularly stubborn weed, use a steamer (or just pour
boiling water) on it. Kills the weed pretty well straight away. 1
application, no residue, no problems if you've got pets...

Old 17-10-2005, 07:27 AM
HC

G'day

I only ever mix as required, but recently (about 3 months ago) I
finished a 5 Litre bottle (concentrate) that was 20 years old, it was
still killing weeds as good as when it was new, but it had been kept in
ideal conditions all it's life.

I was quite surprised when I realised how old that bottle of Glyphosate
really was.....it had been bought with a job in mind that never came to
fruition.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 17-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Charles

Rule #1 with glyphosate: always dilute to only half what the manufacturer
states on the side of the pack. I.E., use double strength to avoid
anguish.

You have been warned.

Hmmm.....debatable. What will likely happen is that you'll get a
good quick kill to the foliage, but a percentage of the plants
will continue to live/reshoot.

If you mix and apply as recommended, it may take some time i.e. 1, 2,or 3
weeks for the weeds to die, but during this period, the poison is drawn
down into the plants' roots, and the entire plants will die.

If two or so weeks is too long to wait for weeds to die, bend over and dig
the damn things out!! :-)

Of course, as with everything there are always exceptional circumstances.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds and some days are stone....
Then some days I live in a quarry!!

Old 19-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Flying Echidna

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:05:30 GMT, John Savage
wrote in aus.gardens:

I had a mix in my sprayer which had been there for some weeks. I used it to
spray some weeds a week ago and the weeds are still doing well. Which led
me to think that perhaps I should use the mixture immediately.

Rule #1 with glyphosate: always dilute to only half what the manufacturer
states on the side of the pack. I.E., use double strength to avoid anguish.

Ah glyphosate the gardeners friend! Don't agree with your dilution
recommendation. I have never had any trouble with the normal
recommended mix. The only time it has failed is if there was rain
within 24 hours of spaying.

BTW the cheap chinese versions seem to work just as well as the
expensive Roundup and cost about a third as much.

Regards
Prickles

This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 28-11-2005, 02:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

Vampyre wrote:
Don Smith wrote:

Does Glyphosate have a self life?
I had a mix in my sprayer which had been there for some weeks. I
used it to
spray some weeds a week ago and the weeds are still doing well.
Which led
me to think that perhaps I should use the mixture immediately.
Any comments please.

Don

I'm using some that's about 5 years old.
I typically mix it stronger than the directions, and have never had any
issues.

If it's a particularly stubborn weed, use a steamer (or just pour
boiling water) on it. Kills the weed pretty well straight away. 1
application, no residue, no problems if you've got pets...

Yeah thats all fine and well, but how do you kill that nasty ivy that
seems to resist all types of poison. Nothinh short of an all out war
with a flame thrower, involving help from the neighbours seem to shift
those..
Old 30-11-2005, 12:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Jacko writes:
Yeah thats all fine and well, but how do you kill that nasty ivy that
seems to resist all types of poison. Nothinh short of an all out war
with a flame thrower, involving help from the neighbours seem to shift
those..

Get a sheep. They just love the juicy leaves of ivy. And sheep sorrel,
and jasmin, and pumpkin, and choko, and passionfruit, and dandelion
flowers, and ..... They also adore zucchini flowers (preferably without
the bee).

I'm not aware of how great the risk is of cancer, but I think there is
a risk if stock eat much ivy.

Old 30-11-2005, 09:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
Andrew Gabb

Default Killing ivy (as Glyphosate)

Jacko wrote:
Yeah thats all fine and well, but how do you kill that nasty ivy that
seems to resist all types of poison. Nothinh short of an all out war
with a flame thrower, involving help from the neighbours seem to shift
those..

Not easy. You need to rip it all off, leaving about 30cm of stalk.
Then use tree killer. Then probably use it again.

Wear a mask when you pull down the ivy, don't burn it, and shower
afterwards - the stuff's slightly toxic.

Andrew
--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 01-12-2005, 07:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

Andrew Gabb wrote:
Jacko wrote:
Yeah thats all fine and well, but how do you kill that nasty ivy that
seems to resist all types of poison. Nothinh short of an all out war
with a flame thrower, involving help from the neighbours seem to shift
those..

Not easy. You need to rip it all off, leaving about 30cm of stalk. Then
use tree killer. Then probably use it again.

Wear a mask when you pull down the ivy, don't burn it, and shower
afterwards - the stuff's slightly toxic.

Andrew

Re slightly toxic, it plays havoc with my skin. Thats why I tried to get
rid of it, and it retaliated. Its also known to cause other health
problems. Not a nice weed.
Its something that others need to be aware of. Its related to poison
ivy, so that explains it...Im not sure if this stuff we have in
Australia is the actual poison ivy but we should know that at one point
it was actually imported into Australia and may be! I wonder if anyone
around this news group knows?

Usually, people develop a sensitivity to poison ivy, oak or sumac only after several encounters with the plants, sometimes over many years. However, sensitivity may occur after only one exposure.

See here. Its a warning. All the ivy's are dangerous.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM